Swys de Bruin simply couldn’t ignore the medical advice he recently received, which dictates he must totally forget about rugby “for the next three months”.
The Lions’ head coach on Wednesday opened up slightly about his shock departure from the Springbok camp, where he was being utilised as an attacking consultant.
“My tank is just totally empty,” De Bruin told Netwerk24.
“And one can’t tackle a big race like the World Cup on an empty tank.”
The 59-year-old’s struggle with a stress-related illness is well documented after he earlier this year departed prematurely from the Lions’ overseas Super Rugby tour.
ALSO READ: High-flying Springboks suffer Swys shock
While De Bruin already left the national team three weeks ago after the 16-all draw with the All Blacks in Wellington, he only requested his permanent release on Tuesday.
“I’ve been told by my medical practitioner that I shouldn’t divulge too many details. My priority now is to fill up my tank again before I continue with anything else,” he said.
“This is not about depression. It’s just about me having to get some rest. I truly wish the Boks all the best, I’m convinced they’ll be successful in Japan.”
His sabbatical won’t affect his duties at Ellis Park.
“I’m still with the Lions.”