10-man United edge City in Telkom KO Last 16

10-man United edge City in Telkom KO Last 16

Defending champions SuperSport United beat a spirited Polokwane City side 2-1 in a Telkom Knockout Last 16 match at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Wednesday night.

First-half goals by Thuso Phala and Dove Wome helped the Pretoria side reach the last eight.

The home side could only manage a goal by Puleng Tlolane in the 11th minute, despite dominating the match against a SuperSport team that played with 10 men for the last 60 minutes of the fixture.

Polokwane have adopted a bit of a cavalier approach over the last few years, and they immediately took the game to SuperSport. But for all their endeavour in the opening few minutes, they just could not slip the ball past Ronwen Williams in the visitors’ goal.

And, as fate would have it, it was SuperSport who took the lead against the run of play when striker Jeremy Brockie flicked the ball into Phala to put Matsatsantsa in front in the fifth minute.

Six minutes later, however, the hosts equalised when left back Punch Masenamela squared the ball to Tlolane, who beat Williams from close range.

Polokwane started to pile on the pressure, but their finishing began to deteriorate.

Baptiste Faye fluffed his lines in front of goal by completely missing the target in the 22nd minute, before Tlolane’s effort a minute later sailed over the crossbar.

And Polokwane would again pay the price for those misses in the 25th minute, when Wome tucked the ball away after great work by Phala on the right flank.

But the drama in the first half didn’t end there. SuperSport were reduced to 10 men after striker Bradley Grobler was given his marching orders for stomping on a Polokwane player in the 35th minute.

The Limpopo side piled on the pressure from the start of the second half, and Williams was a busy man for most of the second stanza.

Polokwane were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute after SuperSport defender Clayton Daniels handled inside of the box. But Tlolane’s spot kick was saved by Williams.

Nine minutes later, Williams also denied Jabu Maluleke, whose well-struck free kick was no match for the young goalkeeper.

SuperSport had more scares towards the end of the contest, but they managed to see out the clash without conceding a second goal.

Would you like to place a soccer bet? Click here to get started in 3 easy steps.


Contact Us



today in print

today in print