SuperSport edge Maritzburg thanks to Brockie goal

Jeremy Brockie celebrates his goal. (Photo by Lefty Shivambu/Gallo Images)

Jeremy Brockie celebrates his goal. (Photo by Lefty Shivambu/Gallo Images)

A first half Jeremy Brockie goal helped SuperSport United to a 1-0 victory over Maritzburg United in their Premiership match at Harry Gwala Stadium, in Pietermaritzburg, on Saturday.

In what turned out to be a rain-drenched affair Gordon Igesund’s SuperSport were able to hold out for a hard-earned, and much needed victory.

Coming into the match, there was little separating the teams on the log. Maritzburg were eighth on the log on 30 points – the same as SuperSport – but ahead on goal difference.

With the win, SuperSport leapfrogged their opponents, moving to 33 points.

In the seventh minute, SuperSport were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. David Mathebula took the responsibility, but his attempt was woeful as the ball sailed deep into the crowd.

With the rain beginning to fall and the teams seemingly heading to the interval without a goal, SuperSport United opened the scoring. From the middle of the park, Thuso Phalo’s deflected pass fell perfectly to Kingston Nkatha who spotted Jeremy Brockie unmarked near the penalty spot, passed to his teammate and the striker bashed the ball into an open net to make it 1-0 to the visitors in the 38th minute.

The rain grew steadily as half-time neared, with the goalscorer picking up a yellow card for a challenge on a Maritzburg player, but there would be no further change in score.

On the hour mark, Mondli Cele for Maritzburg had a dip at goal but Ronwen Williams parried the ball away from danger to keep his side ahead.

Maritzburg had their chances though, and in the 87th minute were close to capitalising on some poor SuperSport defending in their own box. Mohau Mokate pounced on a throw-in which was allowed to bounce in the area, and from an acute angle whipped his shot across the face of goal.

Less than a minute later, Mokate had a much better chance as he was left one-on-one with Williams, but the keeper was able to get in a reaction save to keep the scoreline intact.

Would you like to place a soccer bet? Click here to get started in 3 easy steps.








today in print

today in print