Premium Journalist
2 minute read
26 Jul 2015
3:27 pm

Ajax and SuperSport share the spoils


SuperSport United drew 1-1 with hosts Ajax Cape Town to share third-place in the Cape Town Cup, at Cape Town Stadium, on Sunday.

Rheece Evans of Ajax Cape Town battles for the ball with Michael Boxall of Supersport United during the 2015 Cape Town Cup Football Match between Ajax Cape Town and Supersport United at Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town, 26 July 2015 ©Chris Ricco/BackpagePix

After both teams lost in their opening matches of the four-team tournament on Friday, the playoff for third place took centre stage in the early afternoon.

SuperSport took the lead on the quarter hour mark, and it seemed for much of the contest it would be the Pretoria side who would prevail. But it was Ajax who had the last say with an injury time goal to wrestle a draw.

Crystal Palace and Sporting CP will contest the final at 3.30pm.

Thuso Phala scored the opener in the 15th minute for SuperSport. Jeremy Brockie had a headed attempt from close range saved by Jody February in the Ajax goal, and Phala was well-positioned to nudge the rebound home to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

In the 37th minute, SuperSport were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area. Up stepped setpiece specialist Brockie who fired in a powerful attempt towards the left post, but February pulled off a fine full-length diving save.

Play moved immediately towards the other end of the park from the restart, where a SuperSport defender was adjudged to have played a back-pass to keeper Ronwen Williams in the box. Though little over six-yards away, the resultant setpiece from the hosts did not trouble Williams with a shot on target.

Ajax had their best chance to level the scores shortly before the interval. Ruzaigh Gamildien found himself one-on-one with Williams in the box, but as the keeper pushed the play wide the midfielder blasted the ball into the side-netting.

With just under 20 minutes remaining, Ajax put together a threatening piece of play. Justin Jacobus poached a ball off SuperSport defender Luvuyolwethu Mpeta in the box, reeled off a shot that was saved, before Ajax captain Franklin Cale from the rebound, struck a left-footed curler from the edge of the area just over the target.

An injury time free kick was curled into the area, and found substitute Travis Graham who headed the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-1.