Jonty Mark
Football Editor
2 minute read
20 Aug 2014
9:46 pm

Sundowns sink Swallows

Jonty Mark

Mamelodi Sundowns picked up their first win of the season in Dobsonville on Wednesday evening, new signings Mame Niang and Kudakwashe Mahachi sealing a 2-0 win over Moroka Swallows.

Mamelodi Sundowns players celebrate the winning of the trophy during the Absa Premiership match between Maritzburg United and Mamelodi Sundowns at Harry Gwala Stadium on May 10, 2014 in Durban, South Africa. (Photo by Steve Haag/Gallo Images)

The Birds had won their first two league games of the season heading into this one, but never really threatened the reigning league champions.

Pitso Mosimane made four changes from the 1-0 defeat to Ajax Cape Town. Kennedy Mweene replaced Wayne Sandilands in goal, Themba Zwane came in for Katlego Mashego, Ramahlwe Mphahlele for Siyanda Zwane and Asavela Mbekile made his Sundowns debut against his old side.

For Swallows, Zeca Marques made two changes from the 2-1 win over AmaZulu. With captain Lefa Tsutsulupa injured, Lerato Chabangu got a start, while Ashraf Hendricks came into the defence  in place of Sandile Sibande.

Sundowns started the brighter, with full backs Tebogo Langerman and Mphahlele getting forward well, but only finding Swallows ‘keeper Greg Etafia with their crosses.

In the 15th minute, a Teko Modise free kick found the head of Mario Booysens, but he couldn’t hit the target.

Niang then almost scored his first Sundowns goal, from Elias Pelembe’s corner, but his header was cleared off the line.

Seven minutes from the break, Teko Modise did brilliantly to trick his way past two defenders, then smashed his shot well over.

The Brazilians did take the lead, however, eight minutes into the second half. Mphahlele crossed from the right and Niang got in front of Etafia, rounded the ‘keeper and slotted into an empty net.

Modise then wasted another fantastic chance, bursting clear, but not able to lift the ball over the advancing Etafia.

Chabangu came closest to leveling for Swallows, his long-range effort tipped wide by Mweene. At the other end, Niang beat Etafia to the ball, but headed wide.

To make matters worse for Swallows, Lantshene Phalane was sent off in the 78th minute, picking up a needless second yellow card for kicking the ball away. And in the 83rd minute Sundowns doubled their lead as the Zimbabwean substitute Mahachi drilled in Pelembe’s cross.