2 minute read
20 Aug 2014
9:36 pm

Free State Stars beat Supersport

Free State Stars came from behind to beat SuperSport United 3-2 in their Premiership match at the Charles Mopeli Stadium on Wednesday evening.

FILE PICTURE: Moeketsi Sekola of Free State Stars celebrates his goal with his team mates during the Absa Premiership match between Platinum Stars and Free State Stars at Royal Bafokeng Stadium on August 13, 2014 in Rustenburg, South Africa. (Photo by Lee Warren/Gallo Images)

Thuso Phala and Dove Wome scored for Matsatsantsa, while for Stars it was an own goal by Thabo Moloi before Da Costa Angula equalised.

The home team settled into the match first and nearly opened the scoring as early as the first minute when Camaldine Abraw fired at goal but goalkeeper Ronwen Williams was equal to the task.

SuperSport responded by launching an attack which resulted in a freekick that the Wome rifled straight to keeper Ayanda Mtshali, who made a comfortable save in the fifth minute.

In the 17th minute Stars had a chance to take the lead but Moeketsi Sekola powered his effort over goalkeeper Williams’ cross bar.

SuperSport continued to pile pressure on the home team and it eventually paid off in the 19th minute when Phala fired home after being set-up by Bennett Chenene.

Four minutes later Phala turned provider as he released Wome, who made no mistake firing the ball past keeper Mtshali to double the lead for SuperSport.

Stars speedster Richard Henyekane broke through the Matsatsantsa defence and unleashed a pile driver but his effort flew inches wide off goal in the 35th minute.

A minute late SuperSport nearly tripled their lead but Phala’s effort from a freekick on the edge of the box narrowly missed the target.

Stars coach Tom Saintfiet rang the changes at the start of the second half.

Katlego Mashego came on for Sibusiso Mthethwa, Da Costa Angula replaced Sandile Mkhwanazi and Rudolf Bester took Camaldine Abraw’s place.

Mashego was quick to announce his presence on the pitch with thunderbolt which flew centimetres wide in the 46th minute.

Bester followed that attempt with one of his own in the 50th minute but keeper Williams was up for the challenge.

Williams came to Matsatsantsa’s rescue in the 55th minute as he pulled a magnificent save to deny Moeketsi Sekola.

SuperSport retaliated with Lerato Manzini firing at goal but keeper Mtshali parried the ball out of danger to keep scores at 2-0 in the 59th minute.

Stars eventually got a goal through SuperSport defender Thabo Moloi, who miscued a clearance to beat his own keeper Williams in the 67th minute.

A lapse of concentration by the SuperSport defence cost them dearly in the 84th minute as Stars substitute Da Costa levelled matters with a fine finish assisted by the enterprising Sekola.

Bester grabbed the winner for Ea Lla Koto in the 90th minute after being well-fed by Sekola again.

– Sapa