Premium Journalist
2 minute read
27 May 2017
7:02 pm

Polokwane City stun Cape Town City


Cape Town City’s dream ride in their first season of top flight football, ended on a low note as they were thrashed 4-2 by Polokwane City in an Absa Premiership match played at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Rodney Ramagalela of Polokwane City celebrate scoring a goal. (Photo by Philip Maeta/Gallo Images)

The defeat ended any outside hope that the Capetonians had of finishing second ahead of Mamelodi Sundowns on the final league table, with the champions Bidvest Wits and the second-placed team, qualifying to compete in the CAF Champions League next season.

The visitors got off to the perfect star, when Aubrey Ngoma powered home direct from a free kick after Thapelo Tshilo had brought down Letsie Koapeng on the edge of the Polokwane box.

Eric Tinkler’s men soon found themselves two goals to the good, when striker Lehlohonolo Majoro scored with his left foot in the sixth minute. Polokwane could have been three goals down in the 11th minute but for a top save from goalkeeper George Chigova to keep out a goal-bound shot from Koapeng.

Then it was the turn of the Limpopo team to find the net from a free kick. It was Jabulani Maluleke who steered the ball home from the set piece to register his seventh goal of the league season in the 17th minute, after Robyn Johannes had brought down striker Rodney Ramagalela on the fringe of the visitor’s goal box.

Polokwane shocked their more fancied opponents five minutes before the break, when midfielder Thabiso Semenya equalised with his first strike of the season, courtesy of a well-timed pass from Sipho Jembula.

Five minutes into the second half, Sibusiso Mbonani headed the hosts into the lead from a corner kick taken by Maluleke, which opened up the game, forcing Cape Town City to go all out to find another two goals if they wanted to have any hope of a CAF Champions League place for next season.

Polokwane, though, had other ideas and sealed the three points when second half substitute striker Vusimuzi Mngomezulu fired home with his right foot in the 69th minute to leave the Cape Town side thinking about what could have been.

All is not lost for the boys in blue who lifted the Telkom Knockout Cup earlier in the season and finished third in the league, in the club’s first season of existence since Mother City-based football boss John Comitis bought the Mpumalanga Black Aces franchise in August last year.