Premium Journalist
2 minute read
8 Feb 2017
11:04 pm

Matsatsantsa make statement of intent with Arrows thrashing


A stunning second half performance from SuperSport United saw them inflicting a 5-2 defeat over Golden Arrows in a Premiership encounter at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Wednesday night.

Reneilwe Letsholonyane of SuperSport United celebrates his goal with teammates during the Absa Premiership match between SuperSport United and Golden Arrows at Lucas Moripe Stadium on February 08, 2017 in Pretoria, South Africa. (Photo by Lefty Shivambu/Gallo Images)

SuperSport are vying for top spot with Bidvest Wits and Cape Town City, and after those two clubs both recorded big wins on Tuesday night, it was the turn of the Tshwane team to show their muscle in front of goal as they went back to the top of the log on goal difference after registering on the score-sheet five times in the second half in Attridgeville.

Abafana bes’Thende started the game brightly enough and were close to going in front after three minutes when Andile Fikizolo’s glancing header skimmed marginally past goal.

Arrows striker Lionel Mutizwa then wasted a guilt-edged chance in the ninth minute when he failed to score with only SuperSport keeper Reyad Pieterse to beat. It was then SuperSport’s turn to attack and they went close when Thabo Mnyamane shot just over goal on 13 minutes before Aubrey Modiba fired wide 10 minutes later.

More chances followed for Stuart Baxter’s charges, but there was no change to the scoreline after Kingston Nkhatha missed with a 35th minute header and Reneilwe Letsholonyane twice failed to hit the target in the minutes leading to the break.

Matsatsantsa came out firing after the restart and a superb finish into the top corner from Letsholonyane gave them the lead in the 47th minute, before Thuso Phala smashed in from close range just a minute later to make it 2-0.

Mnyamane was close to adding a third in the 53rd minute, but his free kick flew just over the bar.

Kudawashe Mahachi reduced the deficit for the Durban team with a 58th minute strike, but it didn’t take SuperSport long to restore their two goal cushion, courtesy of a Chiukepo Msowoya own goal just three minutes later.

Some lovely interplay between Phala and the evergreen Letsholonyane led to United’s fourth goal – Cole Alexander adding the finishing touch in the 66th minute.

Lerato Lamola grabbed a goal for Arrows with 15 minutes to play, but yet another of SuperSport’s former Kaizer Chiefs players got in on the act when Morgan Gould netted with an 81st minute header as Baxter’s men showed they can handle the heat at the top.