Phakaaathi Reporter
Football writer
2 minute read
29 Nov 2016
10:22 pm

SuperSport United defeat Wits

Phakaaathi Reporter

SuperSport United defeated Bidvest Wits 2-0 in an Absa Premiership fixture played at the Mbombela Stadium on Tuesday night. The half-time score was 0-0.

Michael Boxall of Supersport United and Gabadinho Mhango of Bidvest Wits during the Absa Premiership match between SuperSport United and Bidvest Wits at Mbombela Stadium on November 29, 2016 in Nelspruit, South Africa. (Photo by Dirk Kotze/Gallo Images)

For Wits, it was a first loss of the season, while SuperSport’s win sees them move to second on the standings.

Wits got straight into action right from the opening whistle, with Elias Pelembe firing a shot from range, which was easily dealt with by SuperSport goalkeeper Reyaad Pieterse. Not to be left behind, SuperSport followed up at the other and Wits goalkeeper Darren Keet was called on to keep out a volleyed effort from Reneilwe Letsholonyane.

Wits had a great chance to open the score in the 10th minute when Pelembe crossed into the penalty area to find Daine Klate, but the winger hoofed his shot wide. In keeping with the tit-for-tat action, SuperSport, too, had an opportunity, with an Aubrey Modiba’s effort skimming the crossbar.

On the half hour mark, Modiba was in the thick of things again, crossing to create an opening for Thabo Mnyamane, but Keet saved well to deny the SuperSport attacker. Four minutes later, it was back to the other end, as Klate set up Eleazar Rodgers with an inviting chance, but Pieterse made a wonderful save to deny the Wits forward.

Despite the end-to-end stuff and numerous scoring opportunities for both teams, it was nevertheless goalless at the break.

SuperSport came out firing in the second half, with Kingston Nkhatha shooting wide just three minutes after the re-start. Modiba then brought out another top stop from Keet as SuperSport showed their intentions. The goal was coming – and it duly did in the 64th minute when Clayton Daniels reacted quickest during a goalmouth scramble to steer the ball into the net.

Six minutes later, it was 2-0, and it was man-of-the-moment Mnyamane in the spotlight again. The winger fired in a brilliant free-kick, to net his fourth goal in four consecutive matches.

Wits tried to get back into it, but the damage had already been done, and SuperSport ran out well-deserved winners.