Premium Journalist
2 minute read
20 Feb 2016
11:02 pm

Chiefs snatch late win against SuperSport


A pulsating final 20 minutes at the Cape Town Stadium saw three goals scored as Kaizer Chiefs ran out 2-1 winners against SuperSport United in a riveting Absa Premiership game played in front of a near full house.

William Twala of Kaizer Chiefs celebrates goal with teammate George Maluleka of Kaizer Chiefs during the Absa Premiership 2015/16 football match between Kaizer Chiefs and Supersport United at Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town on 20 February 2016 ©Chris Ricco/BackpagePix

The opening stanza failed to bring any goals, nor indeed many chances. SuperSport were able to exert some pressure on Chiefs with a series of corner kicks around the 12 minute mark, Matsatsantsa captain Clayton Daniels not too far off with his headed effort.

The Soweto giants had a decent chance to score on 13 minutes, but having found himself well positioned in the SuperSport box, Erick Mathoho ballooned his parting shot over the crossbar.

The best chance of the opening stages of the game for Chiefs came on 20 minutes when some excellent interplay saw the ball work to George Maluleka, who flashed a left-footed shot inches wide of the far post.

For the most part though, clear-cut chances were lacking in the first 45 minutes, although there was plenty to get the crowd off their feet as the action unfolded at an electric pace, play going from end to end as both sides looked dangerous on the counter.

The early stages of the second half also failed to provide much threat on goal, instead the game became a bit scrappy as some over-zealous challenges came in from both sets of players.

But with 61 minutes gone, Sibusiso Khumalo played Thuso Phala in on goal, the former Chiefs and Sundowns attacker seemingly set to score when he unleashed a goal-bound shot, only for Lorenzo Gordinho to make a brilliant sliding block.

The deadlock was finally broken, 17 minutes from time, when Siphiwe Tshabalala got into a dangerous area on the right hand side of the SuperSport box, squaring the ball for George Maluleka to tap in from close range.

It was nearly 2-0 ten minutes later, but Ronwen Williams did superbly in the SuperSport goal to tip over Lucky Baloyi’s blistering drive from the edge of the box.

Instead it was Matsatsantsa who were to notch the next goal, Jeremy Brockie scorching a volley past Reyaad Pieterse six minutes from time after AmaKhosi had failed to clear their box.

But the Soweto giants were determined make sure their fans went home happy, William Twala ghosting into the box on 89 minutes to sweep in a cross from the right with a clinical shot past Williams