Premium Journalist
2 minute read
20 Feb 2016
9:13 pm

Ajax wallop hapless Polokwane City


Polokwane City crashed to a 4-1 defeat to Ajax Cape Town in an Absa Premiership fixture played at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday.

Prince Nxumalo of Ajax Cape Town celebrates his goal with his teammates during the Absa Premiership match between Polokwane City and Ajax Cape Town at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane, South Africa on February 20, 2016 ©Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix

The Cape side were just too strong for the hosts on the day, converting their 1-0 advantage at the break into a resounding victory as their strikers proved too hot to handle for Polokwane.

With the win, Ajax move into seventh place on the log with 26 points from 19 matches. Polokwane, meanwhile, find themselves well down in 13th position with 21 points from their 20 games.

After Ajax striker Prince Nxumalo was fouled by Tshepo Tema, Erwin Isaacs had an opportunity to open the score from the resultant free-kick, but fired his effort wide in the early stages of the encounter.

Former Ajax midfielder Cole Alexander was making things tick for Polokwane and, after he sent in a teasing cross, the Cape side’s goalkeeper was equal to the task, gathering the ball comfortably. Polokwane also had a shot on goal from Sphesihle Nzimande, but it proved to be an innocuous attempt.

But, with Ajax always looking potent on the attack, it was no surprise when they took the lead a minute before half-time. Tashreeq Morris’ good work provided the platform for Isaacs to score with a sweet finish.

Three minutes into the second half, it was 2-0 when Nxumalo netted to increase Ajax’s advantage.

But when Polokwane’s Mzikayifani Ngidi was fouled by Ajax defender Lawrence Lartey in the 56th minute, the home side pulled one back, with Jabu Maluleke converting the free-kick.

Nxumalo was continuing to be a handful for the Polokwane defence, though. In the 63rd minute, he had a shot saved by goalkeeper George Chigova – but, a minute later, the in-form Ajax forward made the score 3-1 with another fine finish.

Polokwane tried to get back into it, but both Maluleke and Ngidi skewed shots wide of goal.

Three minutes before full-time, Lartey was sent off after picking up a second yellow card. However, the setback did not deter the Cape side as Ndiviwe Mdabuka made it 4-1 in the 90th minute.