Kaunda Selisho
Lifestyle Journalist
1 minute read
5 Jun 2019
1:35 pm

Alex inquiry refuses to apologise to Phindile Baleni

Kaunda Selisho

The director-general wants an apology from inquiry chairperson Buang Jones, whom she claims made statements that tainted her dignity.

SAHRC Gauteng provincial manager Buang Jones | Image: Twitter

Despite failing to show up at various hearings after numerous attempts to contact her office by the Human Rights Commission Inquiry into Alexandra, director-general Phindile Baleni had filed an application seeking an apology from the commission for threatening to subpoena her.

EWN reports that Baleni launched an application seeking an apology from inquiry chairperson Buang Jones, saying the statement made last month tainted her dignity.

Speaking during Wednesday’s proceedings, Jones said the application was unfortunate and told the inquiry that they threatened to force her to appear before the commission because her conduct was undermining the process.

“The statements that I made were to the fact that we will motivate for the subpoena of the DG. We never said we’ll subpoena the DG. The South African Human Rights Commission has received correspondence from the office of the premier in which the premier seeks a meeting with commissioners to raise his misgivings about ‘Mr Buang Jones’,” he said.

He also had a lot to say about those who used their power to undermine chapter nine institutions.

“The DG is placing her dignity above this process. We’re mandated to carry a vital function of strengthening this democracy. Our processes are reviewable. The DG, if it pleases her, has that opportunity of applying to the high court to set aside this process.”

READ NEXT: JHB city manager says he authorised demolition of Alex houses

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.