Despite earlier this week calling rumours that Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma could take up the position of deputy president of South Africa, “speculation”, David Mabuza has had his swearing-in postponed.
It should have taken place today with other MPs as a prelude to resuming his position as deputy president.
Speaking on the sidelines of a special meeting of the ANC’s national executive committee in Cape Town on Monday, Mabuza had earlier told The Sowetan that he would become deputy again: “Hayi, well, no, all the speculations are wrong.”
President Cyril Ramaphosa has reportedly, however, taken seriously a report by the ANC’s integrity committee that flagged Deputy President David Mabuza and many others among 22 problematic candidates.
In a statement, Mabuza said he wanted to first deal with the report that found him to have brought the ANC into disrepute. The ANC statement added Mabuza had requested his swearing-in be postponed out of respect for the ANC’s institutions and processes.
Multiple sources told the Sunday Times that a “top-secret” deal brokered by ANC treasurer-general Paul Mashatile, with chair of the NEC subcommittee on communications Nkenke Kekana assisting, could see Mabuza becoming a full-time functionary at Luthuli House, with Mashatile possibly even becoming deputy president.
Ramaphosa on Wednesday commended Mabuza for his stance and for putting the “interests of the ANC first”.