The National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NatJOINTS) has put security measures in place to ensure everyone attending the ANC 107th Anniversary on Saturday will be and feel safe.
The ANC anniversary celebration and manifesto launch will take place on Saturday, January 12, at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
KZN SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Jay Naicker said in a statement on Thursday that since over one hundred thousand people were expected to attend the event, the police and traffic officials would implement strict crowd management and traffic management principals to ensure traffic flows smoothly, as well as the traffic of attendees on foot.
Naicker said to ensure vehicle and pedestrian traffic flowed smoothly, the following road closures, particularly around the Moses Mabhida Stadium, would be implemented from 6pm on Friday, January 11, until Sunday, January 13:
– Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue, Northbound at the intersection of Somtseu Road.
– Sandile Thusi (Argyle) Road on-ramp to Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue, Northbound.
– Isiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road, Eastbound at the intersection of Umgeni Road.
– Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue, Southbound at the intersection of Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road.
– Isiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road, at the entrance to Durban Country Club.
– Battery Beach Road at the entrance to Kingspark Swimming Pool.
Controlled vehicle access will be in effect as follows:
– Battery Beach Road at the intersection of Snell Parade.
– Ruth First (M4) highway at the intersection of Isiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road.
– Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue at the intersection of Jaco Jackson Drive.
If necessary, temporary road closures will be affected as and when required in and around Umgeni Road
The following roads will be a traffic-free zone for the duration of the event:
– Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue from Somtseu Road to Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road.
– Battery Beach Road from Snell Parade to Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue.
– Isiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road from Umgeni Road to Ruth First (M4) highway
Naicker said people attending the event were also advised that no firearms, dangerous weapons, or alcohol would be allowed inside the stadium and the public viewing area outside the stadium.
“Attendees are also urged to exercise utmost patience and courtesy when moving in and out of the designated venues. Please note that all road closures and equipment will be removed by 12pm on Saturday, 12 January 2019.”