Residents of the Bottlebrush informal settlement are calling for a permanent solution to the ongoing issue of illegal electricity connections after a four-year-old child was killed after being electrocuted on Wednesday, reports Rising Sun Chatsworth.
A concerned resident from the area, whose identity is known to Rising Sun Chatsworth, said young children are constantly playing near and around areas with illegal cables.
“These children are often not supervised during [the] day and that is also part of the problem. We, as a community, are desperate for a permanent solution to illegal connections. The community sympathises with the family,” said the resident.
Chatsworth SAPS is investigating and an inquest docket has been opened.
Cluster communications officer of the eThekwini Inner South, Cpt Cheryl Pillay, confirmed the incident. “On March 6, a four-year-old child succumbed to his injuries after being electrocuted at the Bottlebrush Informal Settlement.”