Citizen reporter
2 minute read
26 Apr 2019
4:08 pm

Jiba pleads for transfer, vows to defend herself in parliament

Citizen reporter

She has requested the president to reconsider his decision as it would cause undue harm to her family.

Suspended deputy prosecutions boss Nomgcobo Jiba is seen in the witness stand giving testimony during the Mokgoro Inquiry, 21 February 2019, Centurion. Picture: Jacques Nelles

Fired National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) senior prosecutor Nomgcobo Jiba has reportedly vowed to challenge her axing in parliament following President Cyril Ramaphosa’s decision to dismiss both her and Lawrence Mrwebi.

Ramaphosa’s decision to axe the two senior prosecutors was announced on Friday morning.

Jiba views the president’s decision as an abuse of executive powers.

Although parliament is still to confirm the president’s decision, Jiba has made an appeal to the president.

In her submission regarding the damning Mokgoro report, Jiba pleaded with Ramaphosa to give her a senior position in government instead of leaving her unemployed.

Jiba said she was an experienced prosecutor whose institutional knowledge was needed in the NPA and that she should be reinstated to her post. She said she had three children who still attended school and an 85-year-old mother she cared for.

“My removal from office would cause undue harm to my family. With the high unemployment rate in the country, I do not want to be made part of that by our government. I humbly submit that the president should not accept and implement the findings and recommendations of the Mokgoro inquiry to remove me from office as NDPP,” Jiba said.

“In the event that the president is not persuaded to accept this request, I humbly request a transfer within the public service post commensurate with my position as NDPP.”

An inquiry chaired by retired Justice Yvonne Mokgoro heard damning evidence against the two state lawyers, who were suspended six months ago. Earlier this month, having received the final report, Ramaphosa sent it to Jiba and Mrwebi, asking them to respond to the findings in a form of representations.

This led to Ramaphosa dismissing the two state lawyers as recommended by Mokgoro. His spokesperson Khusela Diko said Jiba and Mrwebi were informed of the decision on Thursday evening.

(Compiled by Gopolang Chawane, additional reporting by ANA)

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.