Fire at Bloemfontein school traps children inside hostel

Dr Blok Secondary on fire.

Dr Blok Secondary on fire.

The fire brigade needed to remove burglar bars to free the victims.

Nine learners at the Dr Blok Secondary School in Heidedal, Bloemfontein, were transported to the Pelonomi Hospital on Friday night after their hostel parent’s house caught fire and it spread to the hostel, reports OFM News.

This was according to the spokesperson of the provincial department of health, Mondli Mvambi, who further said all kids had been accounted for.

Several learners were initially trapped inside the school’s hostel. An eyewitness told OFM News he could hear children screaming and windows breaking as they were freed after the burglar bars were removed.

The school’s principal, Daniel McPherson, confirmed to OFM News that they managed to get everyone out and that no major injuries were reported. Out of a total of 135 students who stay at the hostel, nine were transported to the Pelonomi Hospital and the remaining 126 stayed at the school.

Another eyewitness described how the fire started at the house of the hostel parent, Nathan du Plessis, and then spread to the adjacent school hostel. The house is in ruins.

 

The Mangaung Fire Brigade was still busy putting out the fire late Friday night and securing the area. The cause of the fire and damage to the hostel could not be determined at this stage.

Former councillor Rassie Erasmus said he has been a hostel parent at Dr Blok Secondary School for 10 years. He was saddened by the loss of historical value and hoped the community would come together to assist those who had suffered damages.

Dr Blok Secondary on fire.

Dr Blok Secondary on fire.

Dr Blok Secondary on fire.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

 

today in print