Citizen reporter
1 minute read
5 May 2020
11:11 am

Third suspect arrested for alleged R53m fraud and corruption in City of Tshwane

Citizen reporter

The Hawks say the trio is accused of stealing R53 million from the municipality's bank account on 30 August 2019, which was earmarked for the National Fund for Municipality Workers.

Picture: iStock

The Hawks have arrested a third suspect in relation to the R53 million corruption, fraud and money laundering investigation at the City of Tshwane.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said the 45-year-old suspect was arrested in Ntunzuma on Monday after he was linked to the theft of R53 million from the City of Tshwane, bringing the number of suspects arrested in the matter to three.

“The first accused Ivo Gunter Wegrostek, 62, was arrested on 18 December 2019. The latter is out on bail of R100,000. Wegrostek’s case was remanded to 21 May 2020 in the Specialised Commercial Crime Court, Pretoria.

“The second accused, Nkosinathi Sithole, 44, was arrested on Friday in Durban. Sithole appeared briefly at the Empangeni Magistrate Court and was remanded in custody pending his next appearance on 11 May 2020 at the same court in Pretoria.

“The third accused is expected to appear at the Ntunzuma Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday and his case will also be remanded to 11 May 2020 in Pretoria,” Mulaudzi said.

He said the trio was accused of stealing R53 million from the municipality’s bank account on 30 August 2019, which was earmarked for the National Fund for Municipality Workers (NFMW).

“It was discovered during investigations that the stolen funds were allegedly laundered from the company SAGOLD (Pty) Ltd into several businesses as well as local and international bank accounts of the first accused’s relatives,” Mulaudzi said.

The national head of the Hawks, Lieutenant General Godfrey Lebeya, has applauded the team for their commitment on this matter.

“As I indicated before, all those who participated in the looting shall be held accountable. The good work must continue,” said Lieutenant General Lebeya.

Investigations are still continuing, Mulaudzi said.

(Compiled by Makhosandile Zulu)

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.