SABC host claims he was called a monkey and beaten up in racial attack (video)

Picture: @Samora_Mangesi/Twitter

Picture: @Samora_Mangesi/Twitter

Samora Mangesi has shared footage from the scene of an alleged attack and now wants the police to effect arrests.

An SABC television host, 26, Samora Mangesi, has shared shocking photos of himself following what he alleges was a “racially motivated attack” on him on the West Rand of Johannesburg, apparently around the Wilro Park area.

He also shared videos allegedly taken at the scene, which you can view below.

Mangesi is a former presenter of the Hectic Nine show and joined The Real Goboza as a co-host last year.

He wrote that on Friday night he was attacked after stopping “to check on a group of young white people whose car had overturned”.

He said: “They called my friends and I monkeys. When we engaged them on why we were being called such, they beat me up until I was unconscious.”

In the videos below, please be advised there is strong language and conflict. At this stage The Citizen cannot confirm whether the people in these videos are guilty of any crime, though Mangesi claims this was the group out of which unidentified individuals assaulted him.

“My memory post the attack is very sporadic,” he further explained. “I remember going in for a CT scan and then signing papers to leave the hospital. As much as they say I was awake, I don’t remember being in the ambulance, arriving at the hospital nor much of the treatment. Qha kuthwa bendigqwenks.”

He said he had “toyed with the idea of letting it go” and just continuing with his life, but said he’d changed his mind because “apparently this is not the first time that this has happened to a black man in the West Rand, more especially around Wilropark”.

Mangesi said a friend’s neighbour was driving past at the time and witnessed the whole thing.

He claimed it had also happened to him.

“So today, I went to the police station armed with only reg. numbers, photos and videos to open a case again my unknown attackers.”

“Once the CAS number has been sent to me by the police I need to go back to the hospital to get the ball rolling even further. Right now, I’m fine and going about my daily business. As much as I am not keen for a long, drawn-out situation I realised it’s my duty to report such.”

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

 

today in print