Convicted gangster Krejcir says he gave Zuma R2.5m for asylum – report

Radovan Krejcir appears ahead of court proceedings, 21 July 2015, at the South Gauteng High Court, in the Johannesburg CBD, for the final arguments of the case. Krejcir is facing charges of attempted murder, kidnapping and torture of Bhekithemba Lukhele. Picture: Alaister Russell

Radovan Krejcir appears ahead of court proceedings, 21 July 2015, at the South Gauteng High Court, in the Johannesburg CBD, for the final arguments of the case. Krejcir is facing charges of attempted murder, kidnapping and torture of Bhekithemba Lukhele. Picture: Alaister Russell

Another alleged mob figure is believed to have introduced Krejcir to Duduzane Zuma.

In a signed affidavit, alleged mob boss Radovan Krejcir claims he met with both former president Jacob Zuma and his son Duduzane at the elder Zuma’s homestead in Nkandla, where he handed over R2.5 million in cash in exchange for asylum, City Press reports.

Krejcir was handed a sentence of 35 years in jail for the kidnapping and attempted murder of Bhekithemba Lukhele in June 2013 by Judge Colin Lamont in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg.

Krejcir received 25 years for the attempted dealing of drugs. He is currently serving an effective 35 years.

According to City Press, late mobster Cyril Beeke introduced the Czech-born gangster to Duduzane Zuma, asking him to keep the younger Zuma “away” from the Guptas.

READ MORE: Radovan Krejcir smells a rat … literally

Krejcir says he bought Duduzane a motor bike and the two met weekly in Kyalami to go racing.

The full report is available in today’s edition of City Press.

This is not the first time Duduzane has been accused of alleged underworld connections.

In early 2018, a picture of the younger Zuma with alleged Cape Town underworld boss Nafiz Modack raised eyebrows.

READ MORE: Duduzane Zuma met with suspected underworld figure Modack – report

Modack is currently facing extortion charges alongside Colin Booysen‚ Ashley Fields and Jacques Cronje in what some have described as South Africa’s biggest ever organised crime trial.

A fourth accused, Carl Lakay, was killed in an alleged murder in August last year.

This came days after the alleged murder of Sexy Boys gang leader Jerome “Donkie” Booysen.

Later this month, the culpable homicide case of Duduzane will resume.

The younger Zuma was charged with the deaths of two minibus taxi passengers following an accident in February 2014.

READ MORE: Long road ahead for Krejcir

Duduzane appeared in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court in October, on two counts of culpable homicide. The case was postponed to January 24.

Zuma is also facing charges of corruption arising from the role he played in a failed attempt to bribe then deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas at the Gupta family’s Saxonwold home in October 2015.

It is alleged that, at the meeting, Duduzane, businessperson Fana Hlongwane and Ajay Gupta offered Jonas the job of finance minister and a bribe of R600 million.

The corruption case will also be heard in January.

(Compiled by Daniel Friedman)

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.




today in print