SABC evacuated amid safety concerns

SABC evacuated amid safety concerns


Most SABC radio stations are running on auto-pilot as staff have had to evacuate the building following an alleged diesel spillage.

Wednesday morning saw a minor interruption broadcasting at some SABC radio stations after the building had to be evacuated for safety concerns.

Listeners, eyewitnesses, and social media users with inside info took to Twitter to share updates about the situation while trying to gather additional information about what was really happening.

Radio 2000 host David Mashabela also tweeted an explanation to his listeners about the break in transmission before adding that contingency plans had been made.

Another one of the station’s hosts also offered up her own experience as an explanation for the commotion.

While many had suspected a bomb scare, it seems that there had been a diesel spillage from a generator that had malfunctioned following a power outage in the area.

Staff were then evacuated for safety reasons.

When called for comment, SABC spokesperson Vuyo Mthembu was still getting briefed about the details surrounding the incident and promised to provide comment in due course.

Speaking to News24, Netcare 911 spokesperson Shawn Herbst confirmed that 2 000 litres of diesel had leaked from a generator on the 15th floor according to information he had received from the scene and added that no fires had been reported at that point.

“Many people have been evacuated, but others are still trapped on the 17th floor. Our paramedics can’t get to them and they can’t come down because of the fumes. We are waiting for the fire department to assist,” he told the publication.

This is a developing story.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

today in print