A Centurion veterinarian has warned locals dog owners to lookout for sausages or meat thrown on to their properties.
Dr Sally Rackham of Pierre van Ryneveld veterinary clinic warned these could be laced with poison, after seven dogs were poisoned at the weekend, Centurion Rekord reports.
Rackham said the symptoms of poisoning included severe vomiting, seizures and listlessness.
She said the most common dog poison was “two-step”, with which the meat and sausages were laced.
“All it takes is ingesting less than half a teaspoon of two-step and any animal or toddler is more than likely to die a horrible, painful death with the nervous system being affected and death by asphyxiation.”
If not treated within 30 minutes, it is fatal to dogs.
“People need to be more vigilant and inspect any activity that could possibly get their dog’s attention,” she said.
Rackham said it was devastating that animals had to be harmed in such a way by criminals who wanted access to residential properties.
Wierdabrug police spokesperson Captain Agnes Huma could not provide any information on poisonings.
In August last year, it was reported that motorbike theft could be the reason behind a string of dog-poisoning cases in Centurion, according to police.
In the past few months, Centurion Rekord reported several dog poisonings east of Pretoria.
Residents were urged to rather keep their dogs in the backyard for their safety, and to take them for obedience training so that they would not accept food from strangers.
“Also, feed your dogs at night so they are not inclined to eat the poisoned bait.”