; I just want my son’s body, father of missing boy pleads – The Citizen

I just want my son’s body, father of missing boy pleads

Members from the Eersterust community are seen at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court wearing T-shirts depicting the face of Dean Jafta, 20 April 2018, Jafta (20) went missing and was last seen by his family in Eersterust on 19 May 2017. Picture: Jacques Nelles

Members from the Eersterust community are seen at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court wearing T-shirts depicting the face of Dean Jafta, 20 April 2018, Jafta (20) went missing and was last seen by his family in Eersterust on 19 May 2017. Picture: Jacques Nelles

Dean Jafta’s car was found at a townhouse in Clarina, near Akasia, two days after his disappearance on May 19 last year.

A Pretoria father hopes a court can solve the mysterious disappearance of his son, Dean Jafta, as they have little hope that their 20-year-old son is still alive, nearly a year after he went missing.

The Eersterust community filled the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court room yesterday in support of the Jafta family as three suspects linked to Dean’s disappearance appeared.

Members from the Eersterust comunnity are seen at the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court yesterday. Picture: Jacques Nelles

According to Dean’s father, Denzil Jafta, his son was last seen on May 19 last year, after he was allegedly hijacked.

But according to a friend, Dean had planned to go somewhere with the third accused, Mark Booysen, who the community knows as Billy.

“We received information that Dean received a call to go somewhere with Billy and that Billy offered the friend R1 000 to stay behind. But that Friday, Dean did not return home. Since then, we questioned Billy and he refused to give us all the details, denying that he saw Dean,” said Jafta.

Dean’s car was found at a townhouse in Clarina, near Akasia, two days after his disappearance.

Booysen (Billy) appeared briefly before the court yesterday with co-accused Sizwe Mabuza and Claude Marius. The latter were out on bail, while Booysen was in custody, serving a separate sentence for murder.

The matter was postponed to June 22 for further investigation.

The second accused, Marius, was given a bail condition prohibiting him from speaking to the Jafta family after he allegedly threatened them.

Jafta said he just wanted to find his son’s body, as he doubted he was still alive.

“Dean was the type of person who would pick up the phone to inform his family where he was.

“But since his disappearance 11 months ago, we haven’t received any information,” Jafta said.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

today in print