The Hawks this morning conducted a search and seizure raid at the offices of North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo.
- Hawks regional spokesperson Captain Tlangelani Rikhotso has confirmed the unit is investigating a case of alleged corruption and fraud within Mahumapelo office.
- According to Rikhotso, there are no arrest warrants at this stage.
- It’s been widely speculated that the raid is in connection with an IT tender that was awarded to a company called Nepo Data Dynamics, which was allegedly awarded a multimillion-rand three-year contract to help with the province’s IT system.
- According to Jacaranda News, documents have been seized from the office of the acting director-general for administration and the department of finance.
- News24 reports that Mahumapelo was at a meeting at the North West legislature when the raid took place. However, Hawks investigators did not enter the premier’s office.
- The spokesperson for the provincial government, Brian Setswambung, said officials were cooperating with Hawks investigators in effecting their search warrants.
- The Hawks are expected to release a statement shortly this afternoon on their raids.