South Africa 8.1.2018 06:24 am

Man’s body still in Egypt after balloon crash

 D Jay Wiggill and his wife Vicki in front of a hot air balloon in a picture she posted on Facebook.

D Jay Wiggill and his wife Vicki in front of a hot air balloon in a picture she posted on Facebook.

A total of 16 people, including the Egyptian pilot, were in the balloon at the time.

The body of a South African man who tragically died in Egypt in last week’s hot air balloon accident has yet to be brought home.

Four people have since been detained in Egypt after the crash landing, which occurred in the popular hot air ballooning destination of Luxor and which saw two other South Africans and several other tourists injured.

Condolences poured in on Facebook after 34-year-old D Jay Wiggill, also known as Darren, succumbed to his injuries on his arrival at the hospital.

Heavy winds apparently resulted in the crash at about 7.30am on Friday, Ayman Walash, head of press at the Egyptian Embassy in Pretoria, said.

“His body hasn’t been brought back yet. We haven’t received any calls and no one has contacted us at the embassy. We will help with any needed procedures related to that matter,” said Walash.

The two other 24-year-old female South Africans involved are in a stable condition.

“The others are fine. They are in a stable condition. They are still in Egypt. We have no updates of their return to South Africa.”

A total of 16 people, including the Egyptian pilot, were in the balloon at the time. There were five people from Australia, four from France, two from Argentina and one from Brazil.

“When the man who was operating the balloon tried to land, it crashed to the ground because of the strong winds.

“There will be an investigation to reveal all the facts on that matter,” said Walash.

Egyptian authorities release names of SA victims of hot air balloon crash

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

06

today in print