The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of daily digital news gathering and production in South Africa.
This is a dynamic position which needs someone with a passion for breaking news.
- Assign stories to the digital reporters and content administrators and check that they are delivering the news stories.
- Edit and rewrite reporters’ copy and also produce/write digital stories.
- Gather news by monitoring the wires and other media to ensure that topical stories are being picked up on.
- Generate story ideas.
- Check accuracy of articles by reporters and content administrators.
- Attend general news meetings and update news diary daily.
- Coordinate news flow by ensuring relevant stories discussed during the morning meeting are covered and uploaded according to deadlines.
- Ensure that news articles from the print and digital departments gets shared.
- Line edit stories in order to identify problems such as libel or inaccuracy and to ensure complete fairness.
- Liaise with photographic department to ensure visual elements of stories.
- Liaise with fellow editors, reporters, production desk, bureaus and senior editors.
- Mentor and train content administrators and interns in order to produce outstanding copy.
- Assist in hiring staff.
- Drive the social media strategy.
- An appropriate bachelor’s or higher degree in Journalism
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in mainstream journalism
- Suitable experience managing a news desk / team of reporters
- Good talent for writing and copy tasting abilities
- Advanced awareness of the media law and current trends
- Proven track record
- Excellent communication skills
- Good computer skills
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- News awareness
- Deadline driven
- Team player
- Matric/Grade 12 qualification or SAQA Accredited Equivalent a must
- Valid driver’s licence a must
- Own vehicle a must
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Solid references
- No criminal record
Preference will be given to individuals who will add to the diversity of the organization.
Suitable CV’s to be sent to email@example.com using Digital News Editor as the Subject line;
Closing date for applications: 12 December 2017.
Should you not receive feedback 3 weeks after closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The Citizen reserves the right to not fill the position.