Citizen reporter
1 minute read
26 Nov 2017
1:34 pm

Moyane narrowly escapes R200 petrol theft charge  

Citizen reporter

The Sars boss denies he was behind the wheel of his luxurious Range Rover tank when the incident happened.

FILE PICTURE: PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA – APRIL 03: South African Revenue Services (SARS) commissioner Tom Moyane during the revenue’s preliminary collection results announcement on April 03, 2017 in Pretoria, South Africa. (Photo by Gallo Images / Rapport / Deon Raath)

South African Revenue Service (Sars) commissioner Tom Moyane reportedly escaped a diesel theft charge after he was accused of speeding off from an Engen service station in Randburg, north of Johannesburg, without paying his R200 bill.

Sunday Sun reports that Moyane allegedly settled the matter with the owner of the service station after a case was registered with police. However, the Sars boss denies he was behind the wheel of his luxurious Range Rover tank when the incident happened.

Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini told the tabloid a withdrawal statement had been deposed.

“This office confirms a case was registered. But the complaint subsequently submitted a withdrawal statement,” Dlamini said.

According to sources, police had a difficult time trying to make out the driver’s face after the Range Rover was traced back to Moyane.

Sars spokesperson Sandile Memela confirmed the vehicle belonged to his boss, saying one of Moyane’s children had driven his Range Rover on the day of the incident.

“The Sars commissioner has noted the allegation and would like to state that he wasn’t at the scene. But the incident involved his offspring, who was transporting family friends home,” he said.

Memela said Moyane “vehemently” denied the theft claim, insisting that an agreement was reached with the petrol attendant.

“At the garage, there was a clear agreement between the petrol attendant and one of the adult passengers. He was told the bill would be settled.”

Sunday Sun could not establish which of the Sars boss’s “offspring” allegedly committed the drive-off.

ALSO READ:

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/1740765/cabinet-ministers-spent-r11-8m-on-13-new-luxury-vehicles-report/

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.