EFF national spokesperson Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi was left furious following reports that EFF leader Julius Malema had been barred from speaking at former ANC Youth League secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa’s funeral.
eNCA journalist Xoli Mngambi reported on Wednesday that ANC KZN Harry Gwala chairperson Zamo Nxumalo allegedly said Malema was “not allowed to speak” at Magaqa’s funeral.
The 35-year-old was the secretary-general of the ANCYL before it was disbanded in 2012 after its leadership, under then league president Malema, was found guilty of bringing the ANC into disrepute.
Malema and the ANCYL’s former spokesperson, Floyd Shivambu, were expelled from the ANC, while Magaqa was suspended from the party.
Magaqa, who was a councillor at Umzimkhulu in southern KZN, died on Monday last week at Albert Luthuli Hospital in Durban after he was rushed to hospital on July 13 when he was shot and wounded in an ambush.
Malema has constantly been referring to Magaqa as his friend and brother.
Though angry supporters of Magaqa reportedly chased away three ANC officials on Tuesday last week when they visited Magaqa’s family home in Umzimkhulu to offer their condolences, Malema, along with EFF leaders, was welcomed into their home.
The family showed the EFF leader the car in which Magaqa was shot, further saying Malema was always welcome in their home.
However, it seems the feud between him and the ANC will prevent him from honouring his friend at his funeral on Saturday.
The ANC’s motive has been questioned by many on social media, with some asking if barring Malema from speaking at the funeral was what the family or even Magaqa would have wanted.
Ndlozi also took to social media to criticise the decision to bar Malema, saying he had peace in the knowledge that the EFF would respect his wishes should he die.
“At least I know that if I die, the EFF will respect both my wishes & those of my family. Amidst all this madness may the family find peace,” he said.
In a letter last week, Malema criticised the ANC Youth League in KwaZulu-Natal for “inviting” him to Magaqa’s funeral, saying the league was only using the funeral to score political points.
“Nothing is more insensitive and an utter betrayal of African tradition than this shallow sickening fame-seeking call. I do not know of anywhere in our traditions where people get invited to funerals.
“The ANCYL of KZN could not even wait for Magaqa’a warm body to reach his family, they already took the platform to defile this morning hour with their fame-seeking calls. It is even more concerning that the ANC has not called the ANCYL in KZN to order, reminding them that the family has to take a lead on such matters,” Malema said without disclosing the names of those who had been calling him.
However, provincial secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo hit back at Malema, accusing him of having a “low character” following his comments claiming he had been invited to the funeral.
Sabelo said telling Malema on Twitter that he should attend Magaqa’s funeral was not an invitation, but a “gesture”.
The league on Wednesday held a memorial service for the late Magaqa at the UJ Soweto campus.