South Africa 31.5.2017 06:14 pm

Phahlane denies claims of planned raid on Ipid offices

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA – JUNE 14: Former Acting National Commissioner Khomotso Phahlane opens up about his recent beauty spa attack during an interview on June 14, 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Phahlane says when the two gunmen confronted him, like a policeman, he had to defend himself. (Photo by Gallo Images / Beeld / Lisa Hnatowicz)

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA – JUNE 14: Former Acting National Commissioner Khomotso Phahlane opens up about his recent beauty spa attack during an interview on June 14, 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Phahlane says when the two gunmen confronted him, like a policeman, he had to defend himself. (Photo by Gallo Images / Beeld / Lisa Hnatowicz)

The intended raid was confirmed to The Citizen by two separate sources, but the police say it’s nonsense.

Acting national police commissioner Lieutenant General Khomotso Phahlane has described the claim by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) that the police had planned a raid on the Ipid offices as “outrageous”.

The statement comes after two separate sources confirmed to The Citizen that an intended raid on Ipid offices aimed to uncover evidence of it being “captured” by forensic consultant Paul O’Sullivan, politicians, senior cops and other outsiders.

A media statement released by the South African Police Service on Wednesday stated that the South African Police Service (Saps) noted Ipid’s media statement that claimed they had information of a planned raid by the police.

The statement further said Phahlane has consistently refused to comment in the media space since he considered it unethical and counterproductive to conduct investigations and trials through the media.

It was also stated that he respected the position of the portfolio committee on police that the media was not the platform to use to resolve issues of this nature.

“The propaganda campaign embarked upon by Ipid and this baseless allegation, which is completely unsubstantiated by facts, must be responded to as it casts the South African Police Service (SAPS) in an undeservedly bad light,” said Phahlane in Pretoria on Wednesday.

“We can categorically state that there were no plans by the South African Police Service, on my instructions or to my knowledge, to raid Ipid’s offices.

“Ipid’s statement refers to ‘reliable information’ relating to a planned raid without giving any clarity as to the source of such ‘reliable information’ or elaborating on why, if such raid had been planned, it was not carried out,” he added.

The statement further said the SAPS would not engage in a war of words via the media.

“The members of the service are urged by management to disregard any attempts to derail their focus and attention from executing their policing duties. Our commitment and dedication must remain on creating a safe and secure environment for all in South Africa at all times,” said the statement.

READ MORE: 

Ipid calls ‘planned’ Phahlane raid ‘mind-boggling’

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

today in print