Police have opened a case of murder after two men were reportedly shot dead in a drive-by shooting while they were believed to have been watching soccer in Westbury on Monday.
Gauteng police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela reportedly told EWN that they appealed to anyone with information to call the police as the motive of the killing was not yet known.
In February, the Westside-Eldos reported that the area had seen numerous fatal shootings over the years, with residents getting fed up with the senseless violence.
Last year saw fed-up residents taking to the streets demanding for urgent intervention from the South African Police Service. Whether the gun violence is gang-related or a turf war between rival dealers, innocent lives were caught in the crossfire, resulting in many deaths.
On February 16, ER24 paramedics responded to a scene between the flats in Westbury on Thursday, where the bodies of two men, believed to be in their early twenties, were found.
The men suffered fatal gunshots and were declared dead on the scene. No other injuries or fatalities were reported and local police were investigating these latest deaths.
On 17 November last year, gang violence reared its head once again in the suburb of Westbury as the members of one gang opened fire on another gang, injuring at least two people.
Makhubela had told The Citizen that one gang came from behind a block of flats and opened fire on members of another gang. One victim was shot in the upper body, while the other was shot in the left leg. He said it was not clear if the perpetrators suffered any injuries, and a case of attempted murder was opened.