As theft out of motor vehicles increases in our community, Randburg Police Station gives residents advice on how to better safeguard their valuables, Randburg Sun reports.
Captain Makgowanyana Maja of the station explained this sort of crime is a concern as people tend to be victims by leaving their valuables in full view of potential criminals, hiding their belongings inside their vehicle in full public view.
“People also use their electronic devices while stationary at red traffic lights or intersections during peak hours,” he said.
Maja said the use of mobile devices while driving also obstructs the driver’s concentration to observe their surroundings. “This is when criminals take advantage and pounce on the motorist,” he added.
Here are tips the station issued as protective measures:
- Do not leave your valuables in full sight
- Prepare your journey by packing all your valuables where they’re safe before you leave either from work to home or vice versa
- Stop using mobile phones while driving or at intersections; one can still return calls when arrived at their destination
- Observe your surroundings
- Do not wear or expose expensive jewellery.