A planned evacuation will be conducted by three companies in Sandton and several roads will be closed that will impact traffic, Sandton Chronicle reports.
The planned evacuation will take place on 18 May from 10am to 11am and the community is urged to avoid the area.
The following routes will be affected by the evacuation:
- West and Katherine streets, turning into Nedbank and en route to the Gautrain will be closed
- West Street and Rivonia Road going to Radisson Blu Gautrain hotel will be closed
- Rivonia Road going southbound towards Sandton City between West and Fifth streets will be closed
- A contra-lane on Rivonia Road will be sectioned off for traffic heading southbound
- Pretoria Avenue and Wierda Road East will be access controlled
- Johan Avenue and Wierda Road East will be access controlled.
Metro police will accommodate access in the event of an emergency, but are appealing to the community to try to avoid needing to exit or enter properties during the specified time.
The joint evacuation should be completed within 45 to 60 minutes and the Metro police will open the roads as soon as the evacuation has been concluded.