Sascoc inquiry to resume next week

FILE PICTURE: Gideon Sam. (Photo by Lefty Shivambu/Gallo Images)

FILE PICTURE: Gideon Sam. (Photo by Lefty Shivambu/Gallo Images)

The process was initially scheduled to restart yesterday, but the sports ministry said an insufficient number of witnesses were available.

Although the process was delayed again this week, the ministerial committee of inquiry into the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) will resume early next week, government has confirmed.

After last week’s postponement, which allowed the three-member inquiry panel to review the submissions they received during the first week, a total of 20 individuals had appeared before the inquiry by Tuesday afternoon, including senior Sascoc employees and board members.

While the process was initially scheduled to resume yesterday, the sports ministry said an insufficient number of witnesses were available.

“The committee, led by Judge [Ralph] Zulman, has decided that it would be more prudent and practical … to slot all prospective witnesses or phase them into the committee’s programme scheduled to commence next Monday,” the department said in a statement.

The inquiry was launched last month by former sports minister Thulas Nxesi to investigate allegations of poor governance directed at the Sascoc board of directors.

Also read:

Inquiry panel concerned with Sascoc ‘chaos’

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

today in print