Many South Africans are delighted with the outcome of the ANC conference, with some broadcasting their satisfaction on social media.
The country held its breath and many exhaled with relief as Cyril Ramaphosa was elected to be the new ANC President on Monday 18 December.
One particularly reassured Centurion resident, Sophia Kapp, took to Facebook to show her relief at the result. She wrote a humorous and heartfelt open letter to Ramaphosa on the social media platform on Monday evening, which started off with Kapp saying “When a white, Afrikaans tannie from the suburbs of Pretoria is happy and relieved that you are the winner of this race, it says a lot about the state of affairs in this country.”
The letter lists some valid pointers for Ramaphosa to focus on as well. The post was liked and reacted on by over 3 700 people.
Here are some of the main points made by Kapp:
- No selling us out to the Guptas and their ilk. You are the leader of a democracy, not the CEO of a corrupt sweat shop where the workers are chained to looms while the owners sip gin-and-tonics on the porch of the country club.
Ajay and Atul Gupta, and Duduzane Zuma. Picture: Gallo Images
- No appointing your lovers to the cabinet. We want people who can actually do the jobs they’re paid to do.
Presidential hopeful Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma sits before the first plenary at the ANC National Elective Conference at Nasrec, Johannesburg on 16 December 2017. Dlamini-Zuma is seen as one of the leading candidates alongside current Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa. Picture: Yeshiel Panchia
- No homestead. You hear that? You have a home. Actually, as prez, you’ll have several, which we already maintain. That’s enough. You want another house, build it with your own money, not ours. If you need a fire pool, let me know, Jabulani and I will come and dig you one for a couple of hundred rands.
FILE PICTURE: A view of the controversial homestead of President Jacob Zuma in Nkandla on January 21, 2014. AFP PHOTO / MARCO LONGARI
- No colluding with anybody who serve their own interests above ours. Yes, we want electricity. No, we don’t want to make Russians rich.
FILE PICTURE: Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin welcomes President Jacob Zuma on arrival to attend Russia’s Victory Day celebrations in 2015. (Photo: GCIS)
- Africa is not a dumping ground for Chinese toxic waste. In whatever format.
FILE PICTURE: President Jacob Zuma holds bilateral talks with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping ahead of the sixth Brics (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit in Fortaleza, Brazil, Monday, 14 July 2014. Picture: GCIS/SAPA
- Watch Ace. Tell him to give back those cars.
FILE PIC: Ace Magashule. Picture: Gallo Images
- You may be taking over a messy government, but you’re going to be the president of some mighty fine people.
FILE PICTURE: A child waving a South African flag. Pic: Alaister Russell.
See the full letter below:
– Caxton News Service
For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.