An eight-year-old boy was bitten by a snake on Tuesday morning (October 10) at a primary school in Ladysmith, Ladysmith Gazette reports.
The boy saw the snake in the school premises and picked it up, not realising the danger, and the snake reacted by biting him on one of his fingers.
Teachers immediately contacted a snake expert Fanie Cilliers to come to the school so that the snake could be identified.
Fanie responded to the scene and quickly assessed the situation.
The young boy was shaken up by the ordeal and was in shock, with tears in his eyes.
It was later told to Fanie that the boy picked up the snake because he wanted to take it home with him.
Fanie also spoke to the boy and a teacher at the school about precautionary measures when it comes to snakes. He said that children must stay far away from snakes, not touch them and call a teacher immediately.
The boy was taken home by his father after his traumatic encounter with the snake.
– Caxton News Service