A woman was badly burnt after setting herself on fire in Randgate, Randfontein, on the West Rand.
The incident took place at about 4.10pm on Monday in front of a liquor store in the area, Randfontein Herald reported.
Paramedics on scene said the woman had sustained second-degree burns to her head, face and neck, and had to be transported to Leratong Hospital.
Elsabé Berning, a family member, said: “She had to be intubated, and is on a ventilator in the Casualty Department. She has burns much worse than second degree, and she is waiting for a bed to become available in ICU.”
The Herald saw CCTV footage of the woman pouring about 2 litres of petrol over herself and rubbing it into her hair and face.
She took out a lighter and set herself alight. Her body was engulfed in flames for about 40 seconds.
According to local resident John Mtimkulu, the woman bought the petrol at a nearby service station. Occupants of a taxi passing by saw what happened, and the driver stopped. One of the passengers jumped out and used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames.
William Caldeira, the liquor store manager, added the same woman asked about jobs in the Randgate area throughout the day.
Berning also mentioned the woman had been struggling with psychological problems for the past nine years.
– Caxton News Service