Robinson Nqola
1 minute read
5 Jan 2017
4:28 pm

PICS: Silverton shopping centre engulfed in fire

Robinson Nqola

Packaging material were stored in the room where the fire started.

Shoprite building on fire at Silverton shopping centre. Photo: Robinson Nqola

Three people suffered smoke inhalation when a Shoprite building caught fire in the east of Pretoria on Thursday afternoon.

The blaze started in a storeroom in the Silverton shopping centre around noon, burning the three-storey building, the Rekord East reported.

Tshwane emergency spokesperson Johan Pieterse said firemen were by 2pm still battling to contain the fire – about an hour after after it broke out.

“Everyone has been evacuated from the shopping complex and we urge people to stay clear of the area as mopping-up operations might take several hours.”

He said the three people were taken to hospital and were in a good condition.

Five fire stations were deployed to the scene with 25 fighters.

Pieterse said packaging material was stored in the room where the fire started.

“It’s not yet clear what the cause of the fire was,” he said.

– Caxton News Service

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.