1,2L boiling water
2 Rooibos teabags
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
zest of 1 lemon
5ml (1 tsp) salt
100g lightly smoked trout
5 extra-large eggs
15ml (1 tbsp) fresh jalapeño chilli, chopped
60g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 handful fresh dill, chopped + extra, to sprinkle
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium-large saucepan, place the boiling water, Rooibos teabags, onion, garlic, fennel bulb, lemon zest and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and using an egg lifter, gently add the trout and poach for 1 minute. Remove and place on paper towel.
2. Transfer the trout to a plate and flake into medium-sized chunks using a fork. Place in a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
3. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Place the eggs in the boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove from stove and transfer the eggs to a bowl of cold water to cool.
4. Peel the eggs carefully, cut in half, and scoop out the solid egg yolks, transferring them to a medium mixing bowl.
5. In the mixing bowl, mash the egg yolks with a fork and stir in the chopped jalapeño, cream cheese and handful of dill. Season to taste.
6. Using a teaspoon, spoon the egg yolk mixture into the hollows of the egg whites. Top with chunks of smoked trout, sprinkle with extra dill and serve immediately.
Brought to you by Food and Home