Cinemas close for Mandela funeral

A boy silhouetted holds a South African flag at a memorial church service for former president Nelson Mandela, 12 December 2013, at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto. The event, organized by the ANC woman’s league, was a part of the seventh day of national mourning in the country. Picture: Alaister Russell

Screening of all films has been suspended for the first show on Sunday morning as a mark of respect for former president Nelson Mandela, Ster-Kinekor said on Thursday.

The shows would be put on hold while Mandela’s state funeral was taking place in Qunu in the Eastern Cape.

This follows the company’s decision, in consultation with the film’s producer, Anant Singh and Videovision Entertainment, to cancel all screenings of Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom on the day following Madiba’s death on December 5 last week.

“As the country mourns the loss of its father and our first democratically elected president, it is only fitting that we all spend time reflecting on his legacy and celebrating his life, as he is laid to rest,” said Ster-Kinekor CEO Fiaz Mohamed.

“We join the people of South Africa and the global community in bidding farewell to a leader who has become a legend in our lifetime. Hamba kahle, Madiba.”

Mandela, 95, died at his Houghton, Johannesburg, home last week.

He is to be buried at Qunu in the Eastern Cape on Sunday.

 Sapa

today in print