The Western Cape beauty queen was declared a favourite to win the Miss Universe pageant by several pageant critics.
She competed against 91 other contestants from around the world – the biggest number of entrants in the history of the competition – for the prestigious title.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the woman who was crowned Miss Universe 2017.
1. Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is the second South African to win the title of Miss Universe since the pageant’s inception in 1952.
2. She considers herself extremely blessed to have “four parents” (both her parents remarried), who have always supported her.
3. She was the first girl in her high school to be chosen as head girl of both the school and hostel. She was also elected Deputy Junior Mayor of the George City Council in Grade 11.
4. She survived a hijacking incident in Hyde Park. The suspects robbed Demi-Leigh of her personal belongings at gunpoint, but left her unharmed.
5. The 22-year-old holds a degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship from North-West University.
6. Her favourite TV show is Suits, and she is a fan of Enya, Adele and Taylor Swift.
7. Her role model is former Miss South Africa, Cindy Nell, who congratulated Demi-Leigh on taking home the crown.
8. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, making handmade cards and scrapbooking, reading, and experimenting with makeup and hairstyles.
9. Her biggest motivator in life is her 10-year-old half-sister Franje, who is disabled after being born without a cerebellum.
10. She believes women all over the world should be paid the same as men for the same job.