“The federation urges the actors to… work with them [unions and employers] to reach an acceptable settlement, get their jobs back, continue to entertain their millions of fans, and create a precedent for all actors to be treated with respect,” Congress of SA Trade Unions spokesman Patrick Craven said in a statement.
The SABC announced on Monday that 16 actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired.
The public broadcaster’s spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call for the actors to return for recordings.
The cast claimed the SABC and production company, MMSV Productions, had failed to deliver on promises made to them during their strike last year.
The cast was reportedly promised three-year contracts which they had not received. They also wanted salary adjustments.
The actors who have been fired include Menzi Ngubane, who plays the character of ruthless businessman Sibusiso Dlomo, Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande), Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole), Sophie Ndaba (Queen Ndaba), Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba), Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi), and Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo).
Craven said Cosatu was dismayed by the attitude of the production company and the lack of “decisive intervention” by the SABC on matters raised by the actors.