The stay away by the 16 actors began last week after their demands for higher wages and three year contracts were not met by Generations producers.
In a statement released on Monday the sacked actors said: “We are saddened by this development, but remain steadfast in our goal to ensure fair working conditions for ourselves as creative professionals.”
The striking principal actors were warned at the weekend to come back to work on Monday or face immediate dismissal. MMSV Productions released a statement yesterday confirming that the striking actors had all received letters of dismissal.
“MMSV Productions, following consultation with the South African Broadcasting Corporation [SABC], have today [Monday] terminated the contracts of the striking actors on the SABC1 soap drama, Generations,” said the statement.
The show which boasts a viewership of seven million per night loses key characters like Dineo Dlomo (Katlego Danke), Sibusiso Dlomo (Menzi Ngubane), Kennneth Mashaba (Seputla Sebogodi) and Queen Moroka (Sophie Ndaba) amongst others.