MMSV Productions released a statement on Monday afternoon to say that the contracts of the actors taking place in the latest strike had been terminated.
“MMSV Productions, following consultation with the SABC , have today [Monday] terminated the contracts of the striking actors on the SABC1 soap drama, Generations. The termination follows calls by both parties for the actors to return for recordings, following the start of their illegal strike,” the statement read.
According to a statement released collectively by the actors last week, the group went on strike after their demands for longer contracts (among others) had not been met. Last year, the cast seemed to have reached an agreement with the SABC and the show’s producers, but the actors claimed they were threatened with dismissal and ordered to go back to work.
The most pressing demand from the actors was the three year contracts. The actors feel that the intensity of their work schedule means they are not able to do other work to supplement their income.
The cast who embarked on the strike action are:
- Anga Makubalo (MJ Dlomo)
- Atandwa Kani (Samora Lembede)
- Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo)
- Mandla Gaduka (Selwyn ‘Choppa’ Maithufi)
- Menzi Ngubane (Sbusiso Dlomo)
- Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande )
- Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole )
- Slindile Nodangala (Ruby Dikobe)
- Sophie Ndaba (Queen Moroka)
- Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba)
- Thami Mngqolo (Senzo )
- Thato Molamu (Nicholas Nomvete )
- Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi)
- Zenande Mfenyana (Noluntu Memela)
- Zikhona Sodlaka (Priska Nomvete)
- Zolisa Xaluva (Jason Malinga )