The top prize, however, went to the well-known and always funny walking tower of humour Loyiso Gola.
The awards show delivered sketch, music, dance and stand-up, in between handing out 12 the award statues, with the ninth edition themed “Funny Money”, and was a fully produced comedy show in its own right.
With more than 360 registered comedians eligible for the awards, taking home a Waldo means the industry has put you in the top 3.3% of the profession.
This year, the Waldos went to:
- Best Friend of Comedy – Joe Parker
- Savanna Newcomer – Chomi Ya Jeso
- Next Level – Tsitsi Chiumya
- Headliner of the Year – Mpho “Popps” Modikoane
- Audience Choice Award – PelePele Mchunu
- Savanna Pan African Comic of the Year – Long John The Comedian
- Native Tongue – Siya Seya
- Flying Solo – Celeste Ntuli
- Comic’s Pen – Kagiso Lediga
- Savanna Comic of the Year – Loyiso Gola
- Comedy G – Celeste Ntuli
- Lifetime Achiever – Soli Philander
2019 marked the third year of the Savanna Pan African Comic of the Year Award award, and Long John The Comedian took the trophy after Nigeria’s Basketmouth had dominated over the first two years.
This year also saw the CCA Audience Choice voting system migrate from SMS to an online platform. As many as 180,000-plus votes were cast in this category, the only one where the public votes for the winner. After being nominated every year in this category, the audience went wild when PelePele was announced the winner.
Soli Philander, the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award, was presented with his Waldo by his childhood friend Doreen Morris. The duo spoke nostalgically about growing up in Elsies Rivier and their adventures in show business.
For the first time, the SA Savanna Comics’ Choice Awards was live-streamed on YouTube and is available below for anyone who missed it.
Keep an eye on #SavannaCCA on social media, and you could be in line to win incredible prizes and receive content starring your favourite comedians.