3 tbsp olive oil
3 medium onions, chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp marjoram
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
250g boneless, cubed beef
¼ cup red wine (optional or substitute for alcohol-free wine)
4 cups warm beef stock
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender for 8-10 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, marjoram, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
4. Add the beef and fry, 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the red wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the stock, cover, and cook for 40 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes and simmer for a further 30 minutes until the potatoes and meat are fork-tender.
7. Season the soup to taste, ladle into bowls and top each portion with a dollop of sour cream.
8. Sprinkle some chives on top and serve with freshly baked bread.
Recipe supplied by Constantia Glen