Personal trainer Kayla Itsines shared some of her tips for how to eat healthier when eating in restaurants on Instagram.
Over the weekend, Kayla shared a post on the social media site with her advice on what to order when eating out, so you can enjoy a flavorful meal that is still healthy and full of nutrients.
As well as sharing some insights into what she personally orders, Kayla’s tips include:
• Order an extra serving of salad or vegetables.
• Drink water instead of soda or other sugary drinks. Kayla recommends adding ice, mint and lime to make it more interesting and refreshing or asking for a glass of soda water if you want some fizz without the extra sugar.
• Order grilled meat or steamed fish for a light and tasty meal, but without the unhealthy trans fats often found in fried foods.
• If there is something slightly unhealthier that you really want, such as a delicious pasta dish, ask if someone at the table will share it with you, and then you can still get a healthy meat or fish dish with lots of vegetables.
• Order dressing or sauces on the side so you can add just a little, and avoid heavy, creamy dressings. Instead, Kayla opts for a light olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper dressing.
Although Kayla noted that going to a restaurant for dinner can be stressful when you’re trying to stay healthy, she emphasised that going out should be a time to enjoy with friends and eat “amazing” food. So stop letting eating out stress you out.