6 cups maize meal, cooked
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 onions, diced
750g beef mince
Knorr Tomato Base dry cook-in-sauce
1 – 2 cups water
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Basil leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat.
3. Add the crushed garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes or until transparent.
4. Add the beef mince and cook, stirring, until browned.
5. Add the Knorr Tomato Base dry cook-in-sauce and the water, simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and most of the moisture has cooked away. Set aside. Grease a springform cake tin.
6. Spread 1½ – 2 cups of cooked pap into the bottom of the cake tin. Using a spatula, spread the pap evenly.
7. Spread an even layer of the mince mixture over the pap layer, top with ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese. Repeat with a second layer of pap followed by another layer of mince and ½ cup cheese. Add a final third layer of pap, spread evenly.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the cake tin from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for a further 15 minutes.
9. Remove from the cake tin and serve with fresh basil leaves.
Recipe supplied by Foodies of SA