6 large chicken breast fillets
250ml (1 cup) dried breadcrumbs
15ml (1 tbsp) mixed dried herbs
125ml (½ cup) fine polenta
60ml (¼ cup) Parmesan, grated
60g (½ cup) seasoned cake flour
2 large eggs, beaten
Oil for shallow frying
15ml (1 tbsp) oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 large sweetcorn, steamed and cut off the cob
125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Using a rolling pin or mallet, flatten the chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper.
2. Mix the breadcrumbs, herbs, polenta and Parmesan together.
3. Crumb the chicken by first dusting with the seasoned flour, then dipping in the egg, and finally pat with the breadcrumb mixture.
4. Shallow-fry the schnitzels in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 – 8 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel and keep warm until all of the schnitzels are done.
5. For the purée, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the garlic for 1 minute, then add the sweetcorn and cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat, season and blend until smooth. Serve the schnitzel with the sweetcorn purée.
Brought to you by Food and Home