500ml (2 cups) chicken stock (we used a chicken stock cube)
2,5ml (½ tsp) saffron threads
15ml (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
200g mini pork sausages, defrosted and sliced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
200g long grain parboiled rice
125ml (½ cup) Olive Brook Sauvignon Blanc Sur Lie
1 x 410g tin whole peeled tomatoes
10ml (2 tsp) smoked paprika
800g seafood mix
454g black mussels
150g frozen garden peas
Handful chopped parsley,to garnish
2 quartered lemons, to squeeze
1. Combine the chicken stock and saffron threads in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the pork sausages, 5 – 7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper, and fry, 5 minutes or until softened.
4. Add the long grain parboiled rice and stir, 1 minute. Add the Olive Brook Sauvignon Blanc Sur Lie and cook, 2 minutes. Add the whole peeled tomatoes, smoked paprika and saffron-infused chicken stock. Squash the tomatoes with a fork, breaking them up quite finely. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, 20 – 25 minutes or until the rice is just tender.
5. Return the sausages to the pan with the seafood mix, black mussels and baby peas. Stir to combine, and simmer for another 5 – 7 minutes or until the seafood is heated through. Serve the paella with fresh parsley and lemon wedges for squeezing.
Brought to you by Food and Home