Some call it chemistry, we call it magic!
100g tinned caramel
45ml (3 tbsp) lime juice
190g self-raising flour
200g brown sugar
250ml (1 cup) evaporated milk
125ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
90ml (6 tbsp) cocoa powder
1 x 385g tin condensed milk
1 x 380g tin evaporated milk
125ml (½ cup) fresh cream
30ml (2 tbsp) lime zest
30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
4 large eggs
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
Lime caramel sauce
75ml (5 tbsp) fresh cream
100g tinned caramel
zest of 1 lime
15ml (1 tbsp) lime juice
Pinch sea salt flakes
50g chopped almond brittle, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Grease a large bundt tin with non-stick cooking spray and place it in a baking tray.
- For the cake layer, melt the tinned caramel and 45ml (3 tbsp) lime juice together in a small saucepan over low heat and whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture into the greased bundt tin and set aside until needed.
- Combine the self-raising flour, 200g brown sugar, 250ml (1 cup) evaporated milk, sunflower oil, cocoa powder and 2 large eggs, and beat with an electric mixer, 2 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel layer into the prepared bundt tin.
- For the custard layer, place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blitz, 1 minute. Gently pour the custard mixture over the chocolate layer in the bundt tin.
- Cover with foil and transfer the tray to the oven. Fill the tray with enough water to come 2cm up the sides of the bundt tin. Bake, 1 hour 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- For the lime caramel sauce, put all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Whisk until smooth and warmed slightly, then remove from heat.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven. Lift the bundt tin from the tray and place it on a kitchen towel to cool, 1 hour.
- Unmould the cake by placing a plate on top of the bundt tin and gently flipping it over. Remove the tin. Drizzle the lime caramel sauce over the cake and garnish with the almond brittle.
Brought to you by Food and Home